And all the pipe cleaner animals stood erect-- a fierce wall of nylon and wire defiance--
with one voice they exclaimed, "We shall not be silenced!"

Friday, February 13, 2009

Fuzzy Valentines Day!



Here is my hubby's Valentine's Day present! It is a pipe cleaner Maneki Neko! He stands about 2 inches tall and is made of white pipe cleaners, with a little red, yellow, and green felt for the accents, and a little bell. I used a sharpee marker for the dark parts of the yellow spots. His eyes are plastic beads. I bought a little wood disk from Michaels for $0.89 and painted it with red acrylic paint, and glued the cat to the wooden base to make him look more like those Japanese statuettes.
For those of you who don't know what it is, from Wikipedia:
"The Maneki Neko (招き猫, literally "Beckoning Cat"; also known as Welcoming Cat, Lucky Cat, Money cat or Fortune Cat) is a common Japanese sculpture, often made of porcelain or ceramic, which is believed to bring good luck to the owner. Maneki Neko can be found with either the right or left paw raised (and sometimes both). The significance of the right and left raised paw differs with time and place. The most common belief is that the left paw raised brings in customers, while a right paw brings wealth and good luck, although some believe the opposite. Still others say that a left paw raised is best for drinking establishments, the right paw for other stores."

My husband is a business owner, so I thought I'd make him a Maneki Neko to help keep him going during the bad economy. I wasn't sure which paw was more significant raised, so I just raised both of them!

My hubby generally hates cats, but I think he loves this one! =)





1 comments:

Christine said...

Cool! What a cute idea. I hope it brings you guys tons of luck!

<3 xtine
http://stuffbyxtine.blogspot.com